Saturday, January 15, 2011

for my friend

I have this friend, M. Our lives were set up perfectly to come together when they did. Her daughter, G, and my oldest son were in Kindergarten together a few years ago. We both volunteered to do the Art Literacy program each month and our children were the high achievers in class. So we knew each other and talked school stuff (mostly how much we disliked the Kindy teacher and what artist we were going to present) Then October rolled around and Bryce was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes. I was in shock to say the least. When we returned to school, my son's teacher told me that this girl in class had diabetes and would it be okay for her mom to talk to me about it. This mom turned out to be my art lit partner and my friend. I had no idea her daughter had diabetes. I knew G left class often but had no idea why. M swears she told me about her diabetes but if she did, I blew it off...why would I care? Anyhow, M and I have become great friends. While our style of D management is TOTALLY different, we know the beast we deal with is the same.
G was also diagnosed at 3 and a half, like Bryce. She is now 8 years old. She has been on MDI for close to 5 years. M likes to micromanage her daughter's D (most of us do) But that's not easy when on shots. I have been talking to her for over a year and a half about how much we love our pump. Money has always been the issue as to why G didn't have one. Not really lack of money, just priorities of where it went. Plus her diabetes clinic is more conservative and doesn't push pump therapy. Well this Christmas, G's grandparents bought her a pump! A PINK Animas Ping! Next week G starts her saline trial and should be up and running shortly after. I am so excited for G to be on a pump...I KNOW it will be best for how M wants to manage G's D.
So yesterday, I crocheted a pump pack for G. I think it came out pretty cute. Bryce wants me to make him one now...not pink and purple of course. Think I am done making scarves...on to pump packs! Shoot, by the end of the month, I may have hundreds of them ;-)


Hope G likes it!

7 comments:

  1. WOW! Thats awesome, not the double dx , but that you both have each other! Very cute pump pack. Youre an awesome friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is insanely adorable. You are a really terrific friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww...I LOVE IT!!!!! And I love the way D forms these awesome friendships :) Congrats to her family for being blessed with a pump!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so funny how certain people are placed in our lives for a reason. So glad you have this great friend and so happy for them to start pumping!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely!!!! If we were pumpers, I would totally be begging you to make one for us (paying, of course).

    Similar things have happened to us since diagnosis and I am amazed at how God reveals in his time and way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love T1 Mommy friends!!
    OMG - I love that pump pack- it is so CUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool that you have one another!

    I love the pump pack. I'm in the process of learning to crochet and this is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete