Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Hurry up and wait

Our Dexcom CGM was actually here when we got home on Friday evening. I could barely wait to rip the box open and hook it up to Bryce. Knowing I had to read the instructions first, I held back. After the boys were in bed, we opened up our new life-saving device and looked at what we had to work with. While I am so excited to see Bryce's numbers charted out and know if he is dropping fast, holding steady, or climbing, and have alarms tell me if he is low or high, I am really nervous about putting in the sensors. The sensor inserter looks like a torture device. Plus you only get 4 in a box (one for each week in the month) so what happens if I do it wrong?
We had an appointment with our CDE scheduled for this week so we will use it as a cgm training session. Hopefully after that appointment (today), we will be "up and sensing"

1 comment:

  1. Hi Denise! Thanks for commenting on my blog. It's nice to meet you.

    I read through the last couple posts, and boy are we on the same journey lately (minus the CGM - we haven't taken that step yet). I so understand the highs, followed by lows, followed by who knows what's next! My daughter's numbers started to go haywire once school let out this summer, and I haven't really been able to reign them in just yet.

    AND, my daughter just finished a week of camp! She went to diabetes camp, but I tell ya, sometimes I wish I had been there to help with her numbers. Not a great week for staying in range.

    Regarding my post about what to do with the sand, I spoke with my CDE and she recommended going on Lantus for the week to cover her basal needs, and just bolus and correct any highs with the pump. I think that might be the way we go.

    Anyway, I look forward to reading more about your journey!

    ReplyDelete